Monday, January 31, 2011

Knee Tendonitis Can Be Healed

I've been a runner all my life however last summer was the first time I experienced pain on the inside of my leg leg just below the knee cap. I stayed off it for  a few days hoping it would go away but it didn't so I made an appointment with my doctor. He referred me to an orthopedic doctor who said it was probably knee tendinitis. She took some X-rays to check if there was anything else causing the pain ie arthritis because I'm currently 56 and arthritis in the joints is common at that age. Fortunately she didn't find anything and prescribed 800mg of ibuprofen 3 times a day for 2 weeks and told me no more exercise including running and skiing which are my favorite sports.

I diligently followed her recommendations for several weeks but the pain remained. I decided to stay off my leg as much and as long as possible without going crazy by not being able to go running. Instead I exercised my upper body and worked on strengthening the muscles that support the knee..primarily my hips and glutes.

Here's a Video of the Top 4 Exercises for Hips & Glutes






I've been following these exercises for 2 months now and have begun running 2 miles a day on the treadmill. Last weekend I went downhill skiing without encountering any knee pain. Even though I still experience a small amount of pain if I push my thumb into into the area below my knee this proves knee tendinitis can be healed.

Let me know your story by leaving a comment below.

2 comments:

  1. I just started experiencing this exact symptom in my left inside knee then a week later in my right. I have stretched my hamstrings out but not everyday and not very rigorously either. Not stretching properly caused my other severe knee pain with my IT band being too tight. For 12 years the military told me to lay off and take motrin which only masked it. It wasn't until I went to a physical therapist they found out what wrong and showed me the proper way to stretch it. 2 weeks later the pain was almost gone!

    I can't believe how important proper stretching really is.

    Thanks for writing about this it was a perfect description and let's me know I need to learn a lot more about stretching.

    Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this great sharing. As I know Unloader knee bracing may be is another good solution for knee pain. Recent trends declare that the usage of Unloader knee bracing in conjunction with Injectable treatments such as Hyaluronic Acidity (HLA) or even Platelet abundant plasma (PrP) offer you the next step frontward with alleviating the actual suffering connected with OA. Read one more review just for this identical subject matter on:
    http://kidbuxblog.com/pain-in-the-knee/

    ReplyDelete